How To: Sterilize and Reuse Clay Pebbles
22 May 2020
Clay pebbles are one of the most common hydroponic grow mediums, but if you're buying them new for each grow, the cost can quickly add up. Save some money by following a few easy steps to sterilize your and reuse your pebbles over and over again.
- Fill a colander or strainer half full with clay pebbles.
- Rinse them with tap water to remove any organic matter.
- Stir and continue rinsing the pebbles until no debris is visible and the water passing through them becomes clear.
- Fill a large bucket with enough water to cover the pebbles, taking note of the total amount of water you added.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide into the water. You typically want 2-3 teaspoons per gallon if you're using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. If you're using a food grade 35% solution, be sure to dilute it down first before using.
- Stir in the clay pebbles and soak for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the pebbles back into the colander and rinse thoroughly.
Your pebbles are now ready to be reused!